A Christian presence in every community
St Petrocs & St Marys
St Petroc's Church, South Brent
The mission statement for St Petroc’s states that we are “ a Church with a heart for God and for the whole parish.” We describe ourselves as middle of the road in churchmanship.
We want our Church to be open to our community for private prayer. The Church is open from about 9.00am until early evening.
The building itself dates from Saxon times and was enlarged at various stages.
Most of the building we see today was in existence in 1436. With considerable financial assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, together with several church and local charities, we have recently completed a major refurbishment of the Norman tower of St Petroc’s, whilst simultaneously improving both the electricity supply and internal lighting of the Church.
The local community energy group has helped us to overhaul the heating system.
The PCC is keen to offer a range of services during the week and over the course of the year that our community find both beneficial and spiritually fulfilling. Our flagship service is the Village Eucharist on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. The Altogether Eucharist on the third Sunday provides more informal worship and opportunity for liturgical experimentation. Book of Common Prayer Matins is sung on the fifth Sunday.
We have a number of active Bible study and prayer groups and the Women’s World Day of Prayer takes place annually. ln addition, Lent Courses continue, and ecumenical Lent lunches are held each year. There is an active, albeit small, Mothers Union Diocesan Member Branch comprising both ladies and gentlemen!
We have a large and flourishing band of bellringers, who in the past have won the Devon Major 6 Bell-ringing final. We are in the process of creating a bellringing Centre of Excellence at St. Petroc’s.
Services and activities may vary during school holidays.